GRA Constitution Review
The Constitution of the GRA is the foundation and guideline for the activities of the organisation, its members, and representatives (committee and sub-committee members).
To ensure that the Constitution remains relevant and up to date the process to be conducted every 5 years should include:
- review and updating for applicable legislative and regulatory changes;
- review and updating of "policies and procedures" in line with current requirements and trends, e.g. code of conduct, duties of office bearers, finances, management, membership, meetings and voting, etc.; and
- review of updating of Constitution as a legal document.
The last review was done in 2011/12, and this process has become due again. The GRA Executive committee started with this process in August 2016, which is to be completed in four phases.
Phase 1: Internal Review
- Internal (committee) review of the existing Constitution in terms of the above criteria.
- Review and collation of EXCO inputs, and preparation of proposed draft Constitution for external legal review.
- This phase was completed in October 2016.
Phase 2: External Review
- External legal review of proposed draft Constitution prepared by the GRA EXCO.
- Review of external legal input, and preparation of proposed draft Constitution for public review and comments.
- This phase was completed in December 2016.
Phase 3: Public Comments
- Public review and comments.
- Review if public comments and inputs, and preparation of final draft Constitution for ratification and GRA general meeting.
- This phase to be completed by 20 February 2017.
Phase 4: Ratification
- Validating and acceptance of the proposed amendments to the Constitution by GRA members.
- Subscribed members of the GRA to vote on acceptance at a general meeting of the GRA.
- This phase to be completed at a Special General Meeting of the GRA on 22 February 2017.